Visas and Work permits.

Getting into the UK


UK entry clearanceAlways the same questions: Am I eligible to work? The sheer number of Visas available for the UK is confusing, figuring out which one you're applicable for can be positively bewildering.


Check the list below for Visas and guidelines, if you're still struggling after that, have a gander at for more guidance.

You want…

You need…

You get…

Working Holidaymaker

To be a Commonwealth Citizen aged between 17 and 30 or the spouse or civil partner of the above.   

2 years in the UK of which you can work 365 days.

Work Permit (Sponsorship)

A teaching degree and a very good CV. If you have been in the UK for more than four years you will need Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

To legally work in the UK for as long as you remain with the school sponsoring you.

Highly Skilled Migrant Programme

To accrue 75 points based on qualifications, previous earnings, UK work experience and age.


2 years work allowance in the UK with the possibility to extend it 2 years further.


A grandparent born in the UK, Channel Islands or Isle of Man or a grandparent born in the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922.

5 years allowance to work in the UK

Right of Abode

To be born prior to January 1st 1983 to a parent with UK citizenship at that time.

Right of abode! Come and go as you please.


To be studying a degree course of at least 15 hours a week.

To legally remain in the UK for the duration of your course and work up to 20 hours a week.

Indefinite leave to remain

To have resided in the UK for four years.

To legally live and work in the UK.


Either British/EEA/ EU or Swiss

To be eligible for passports you either need to be born in the country or possible have a parent who was.

Unlimited access. Come on down!

Qualifications - To commence your teaching career in the UK you must have a recognised teaching qualification from abroad (Aus Dip Eds, B'Eds and M Eds). You are then eligible to teach here for up to four years by which stage you need to have completed you QTS. QTS is Qualified Teacher Status, a strangely patronizing procedure gone through by OTT (Overseas Trained Teachers) to prove their abilities match those of UK produced teachers.

But we all know that Australia produces the best teachers in the world so don't worry, you'll be fine.  

Teacher profiles


Search for teaching work in the UK

australian flagAustralian Secondary Schools Search

Australian Capital Territory

New South Wales



South Australia

Western Australia


Northern Territory