Education news from Australia and the United Kindgom
- Busselton Senior High School assault
- 'Sickening' assault on Busselton student filmed on mobile
An alleged serious assault on a Busselton high school student that was filmed on a mobile phone is described as sickening by WA's Education Minister, who says she is "baffled" by a teacher's response to the incident.
- Battlelines drawn as student haircut triggers fight for Trinity Grammar's future
A very public war between the old and new guard at Melbourne's prestigious Trinity Grammar School reaches new heights with truck mounted billboards calling for the headmaster and school council to resign.
- Is time up for the stressful, pointless ATAR?
Education is more than a number, more than a ranking and more than a competition. So why are we still ranking students with an ATAR at the end of high schools, asks Megan O'Connell.
- Rita's 'hauntingly beautiful' voice conjures an image of a united Australia
A group of student migrants from Perth's Aranmore Catholic College have used a music video project as a rallying call for migrants to embrace life in Australia on Harmony Day.
- Australia's largest Islamic school could close after court ruling
The future of Australia's largest Islamic school, Malek Fahd, hangs in the balance after a full bench of the Federal Court dismisses an appeal against its $19 million federal education funding cut.
- Migrant children at the head of the class in Australia: report
Children from India, the Philippines and China are outperforming their Australian-born classmates by significant margins, a global education report finds.
- More pupils take term-time holidays, data shows
But the proportion of parents being fined for taking children out of lessons without permission falls.
- 'Sexually motivated' former Bury St Edmunds teacher struck off
A panel hears a teacher sent inappropriate messages to a pupil at a school where he previously worked.
- Essay-writing company's adverts banned
UK Essays did not make it clear that work should not be submitted as students' own work - ASA.
- Exeter university students suspended over racism and rape claims
The University of Exeter investigate allegations of "vile" comments made by law society members.
- Working dads lose out in workplace, say MPs
Many fathers want to share childcare but fear asking for flexible work, says report.
- Teenager arrested over schools bomb hoax
A 19-year-old has been arrested after the hoax closed hundreds of schools across England on Monday.
- Children drawing more women in science
A US study shows that more children draw women scientists than they did in the 1960s and 1970s.