Gilmore College, Medina
Name: Gilmore College
Type: Secondary School
Address: Gilmore Avenue
State: Western Australia
Phone: 08 9411 1811
Fax: 08 9419 2494
Kwinana Senior High School is in a state of transition and as such, from 2006 will be moving towards the development of a year 7-9 middle school and a year 10-12 senior school that encompasses an integrated learning environment with TAFE and Murdoch University. This will be an exciting new era for the Kwinana Community. To this end our Vision for the future is to create a Learning Community where there is a strong commitment to bringing together individual, institutional and community stakeholders to provide the resources (economic, social and political) to enhance the life opportunities of all young people in a process of lifelong learning.
The vision is underpinned by the following principles:
* building school and community linkages;
* developing engaging pedagogies;
* fostering teacher reflection and learning; and
* building student relationships
To enable us to position the school in realizing the vision we will need to engage in:
* Developing an ethic of caring and social justice as the cornerstones of school culture.
* Producing new kinds of knowledge relevant to the new economy and new society.
* Developing interdisciplinary perspectives through multilayered learning experiences e.g. research, cultural diversity/cohesion, sustainability, ICT, and critique.
* Articulating the values and principles of the curriculum framework.
* Focusing on teaching and learning as central to all that happens in the school.
* Encouraging risk taking and innovation by teachers, administrators and students alike.
* Fostering a research and inquiry culture that is systematic and celebrated by the school community.
* Building and developing relationships that are inclusive, engaging and provide consistent emotional and social support.
* Integrating co-operative approaches between schools and other agencies/professionals aimed at ensuring school success and completion.
* Developing a culture of teamwork in which students are encouraged to work collaboratively with their peers and staff work with colleagues across learning areas to maximise learning opportunities and outcomes.
* Fostering innovation by continually seeking improvement, the integration of 'good practice' approaches, and supported by up-to-date learning technologies; and
* Providing a challenging and stimulating educational program that encourages a rigorous and passionate approach to learning.