Cleveland District State High School, Cleveland
Name: Cleveland District State High School
Type: Secondary School
Address: Russell Street
Region Greater Brisbane
Phone: (07) 3824 9222
Fax: (07) 3824 9200
The first high school in the Redlands was housed in the grounds of Cleveland primary school. In January 1956, the Head Teacher, Mr Ted Liesegang welcomed 32 students who were the first to take advantage of a secondary education in their own shire. They were offered an academic, commercial, home science or industrial course.
There were 54 students enrolled in 1960 and 84 the following year. With the existing facilities no longer able to stretch, plans were approved for the school to be located at its current site in 1961. After being in use for twelve months, the school was officially opened by the State Treasurer, Mr Thomas Hiley MLA on 27 April 1963. Twelve students sat for senior that year with Mr Vic Greet as the principal.
The school was a focal point of community activity in the early days and we are proud to say that not much has changed with so many community groups sharing the school facilities and participating in school events to this day.
In 2006, our school celebrated 50 years of education in the Redlands.
There was a great sense of camaraderie and fond memories as past students and teachers gathered to reminisce.
The school has grown over the years with the addition of many specialist facilities, but the essence of Cleveland is little changed. There are strong House rivalries between our four sports houses of Macleay, Peel, Moreton and Russell. There is enormous pride in our academic, sporting and cultural achievements which continue to be celebrated with due ceremony at our Annual Presentation Night. And there is a strong sense of community, with many current students the third generation to attend the school.
Our school motto, ‘Semper Digne’ means to be always worthy, a sentiment that resonates today and will continue into the future.