Ballarat Secondary College - Barkly Senior Campus, Ballarat East

Name: Ballarat Secondary College - Barkly Senior Campus
Type: Secondary School
Address: Barkly Street
Town: Ballarat East
Postcode: 3350
State: Victoria
Region Central Highlands Wimmera
Phone: (03) 5336 7200
Fax: (03) 5336 7250
Pupils: 1500

The College is the largest school in Ballarat with more than 1500 students. It has three campuses - two Year 7 to 10 campuses at East and Wendouree and a Years 11 and 12 centrally located senior campus in Barkly Street. Recently over $7 million has been spent on upgrading our outstanding facilities and buildings. The multi campus structure provides the advantages of both a large school and a small school.

On Wednesday 17 May 2000 Victorian Premier Hon. Steve Bracks opened the College's new senior campus. From January 2000 the Senior Campus had moved from the Norman Street site in North Ballarat to the Barkly Street site in the eastern area of central Ballarat.

The College was formed through the merger of the Ballarat East, Midlands and Wendouree Secondary Colleges at the start of the 1994 school year. Since the merger there had been a strong desire to relocate the senior campus centrally. With the relocation came a name change - from Midlands Senior Campus to Barkly Senior Campus.

Ballarat East High commenced on the current East Campus site in 1955. Ballarat North Technical School also started in 1955 before becoming Midlands Secondary College in 1990 and Wendouree High Technical School began on the current Wendouree Campus site in 1978.


22 Schools in Central Highlands Wimmera, Victoria

Primary and Secondary School

Secondary School


QTS for teachers qualified in Aus. and NZ

The Department for Education have now confirmed that as of April 1st 2012, teachers whom have qualified in Australia and New Zealand will now be recognised as qualified teachers and awarded Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) in England without being required to undertake any further training or assessment.

As well as being eligible to work in the UK, overseas trained teachers (OTTs) will need to have a fully recognised teaching qualification and, in some instances, registration from their country of origin. Teachers can apply for UK Qualified Teachers Status (QTS) by completing the following form:

QTS Application for Teachers from Australia and New Zealand.

For more information on how to gain QTS as an overseas trained teacher please visit the Department for Education's website by clicking here.

Teacher profiles


australian flagAustralian Secondary Schools Search

Australian Capital Territory

New South Wales



South Australia

Western Australia


Northern Territory