Springsure State School, Springsure
Name: Springsure State School
Type: Primary and Secondary School
Address: 55 Eclipse Street
Region Fitzroy-Central West
Phone: (07) 4984 1595
Fax: (07) 4984 1634
Springsure State School was among the earliest schools to be founded in Queensland, as is shown by its departmental number 102.
The school was established on March 14th 1870. The first head teacher was John Henry Nicholson, son of an eminent scholar, John Nicholson, who was Ludwig Leichhardt's first English friend.
1964 saw the establishment of the Secondary Department. At first there was no secondary school building so the Department rented the newly erected R.S.L. Hall to accommodate the pupils. By the end of the year however, the high school was built and such was its progress that at the end of 1968, a new classroom and staffroom were added.
Schooling is offered from Preschool to Year Ten within the one establishment. Springsure's Preschool Centre commenced operation in 1980 and forms a link between home and school. The school is viewed by the school community as a P-10 school where the emphasis is on the continuum of educational opportunities for children across the years.
The school has one basic function - to provide each student with the best education possible for his/her present and future needs. As many of these future needs are probably not known, we aim to teach students a basic core of knowledge and to help them develop the confidence and ability to learn and apply new skills based on this knowledge. If our students are to survive and enjoy life, they also need to develop a concern for other individuals, for the community and for our country.