Mount Isa School of the Air, Mount Isa
Name: Mount Isa School of the Air
Type: Primary and Secondary School
Address: 137-143 Abel Smith Parade
Town: Mount Isa
Region North Queensland
Phone: (07) 4744 8333
Fax: (07) 4744 8300
The Mount Isa Centre for Rural and Remote Health is a "participating universities centre for population health, education and research".
The Centre was initially setup to operate within Queensland Health under contract to the Commonwealth Department of Health and Aged Care, University Departments of Rural Health (UDRH) program. In January 2001 the MICRRH became incorporated into James Cook University.
The Centre commenced operation under the leadership of Dr Dennis Pashen who was appointed to the position of Director in August of 1997, with Dr Elizabeth Chalmers being appointed to the Deputy Director position in November of the same year. Teresa O'Connor took over the position of Deputy Director in March 2003.
The Centre has five main objectives:
* Promote professional education and training in rural and remote health with a specific emphasis on professional education and training of Indigenous persons.
* Recruitment and retention of health professions in rural and remote areas.
* Development of effective means of rural and remote health delivery.
* Develop a population and public health focus.
* Participation by Indigenous people in population health.