Gympie State High School, Gympie
Name: Gympie State High School
Type: Secondary School
Address: 1 Everson Road
Region Wide Bay-Burnett
Phone: (07) 5489 8333
Fax: (07) 5489 8300
Gympie High first opened in 1912, one of the first high schools in Queensland. It was originally located near the town centre where Gympie Central Primary School is now.
The first Cootharaba Road building was constructed in 1917. On 18th May, 1955 the school was destroyed by fire as the result of a science experiment. B, C and D blocks were built later that year on site of the original building. E, J and M Blocks were constructed in the 1960's, and A and H Blocks and Hamilton Hall in the 1970's.
N and O Blocks and the pool were added during the 1980's, and throughout the 1990's, A Block was refurbished, K Block was reconstructed from a 1930's building and the present Administration building was added. Gympie High wasn't always a co-ed school. It was originally just a boys school.
The school motto "Gold from the mines as well as from the school” reflects Gympie's gold mining heritage.
Gympie State High School is a school where learning comes from relevant, flexible curriculum and positive relationships based on trust and respect.